Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The future in business by Hannah Kiemele

This Class and My Future

This class is a very important class to take. We went through a lot of aspects that would help create awareness to an individual and what they can do to prevent certain environmental problems, or even help resolve them.
I am going into the business field. Business relates to almost everything in the world. Without business, the world would not be able to work. Everything is a business. For example, we watched a video on oil drilling in Alaska. The oil drilling itself is an issue, but it’s also a business issue. The business needs to make money, yet the oil drilling could potentially harm the environment. In the video they interviewed a man who was greatly affected by the oil drilling. He said that if it wasn’t for the drilling their town would have been almost like a 3rd world countries. That really struck me. You never would have thought a city in America would be that of 3rd world countries. This just proves the importance of oil drilling and the positive effects it has on individuals.
The business field is very broad. So many things involve business, and this class helped me realize I didn’t need to stay in the typical business setting such as a cubicle with no view and no enjoyment. I am able to go out and help the world with my skills.
One thing that I would enjoy doing with my business career would be marketing and working for a non-profit organization. I really enjoy the organization Habitat for Humanity. I have a passion for helping families in need, and giving them what they deserve; a life full of joy and a roof over their head. My aunt and uncle have worked for Habitat for Humanity for a few years, and I saw how God changed their lives through it. Being able to help people in need is really satisfying. This class has taught me the awareness of the need society has for a good place to live. One thing I think they are starting to do is work with recycled items for their houses. This will be good because they can be more energy efficient and not have to resort to brand new items such as nails, wood, brick, and so on. I was visiting their headquarters in Georgia and took a tour on all the houses they built around the world. It was amazing the kinds of houses they build and the lives they are touching all at the same time.
This class has defiantly taught me to be more aware of what I am doing to contribute to the environment; whether it was good or bad. I am learning to keep my lights off during the day, and only run my dishwasher at night. I have also learned to take shorter showers and not keep my water running when I brush my teeth. Being more aware as an individual can help you “pay it forward” to someone else, and teach them to be aware at what they are doing to the environment. As a businesswoman, I can help create a “greener” workplace and help my co-workers be aware of what is all going on in our world.

No comments: